Under minimal supervision, provide comprehensive administrative support for two professors and their research groups in the Institute for Medical Engineering and Science (IMES).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions**):
- Assist with the preparation and organization of materials for courses such as assisting with updating and compiling course reading materials, editing Powerpoint presentations, and working with Copytech on copyright information. Maintain course website.
- Respond to inquiries requiring a broad understanding of work-area policies and procedures. Provide explanations and instructions and ensure inquiries are addressed and resolved.
- Update faculty members’ CVs and maintain up to date list of their publications. Compose and edit internal correspondence and documents. Assist with layout and graphics for research manuscripts. Design PowerPoint presentations from established content.
- Use Web software to input, update, and maintain Web content including the lab websites and develop a template for all project pages.
- Following budgetary guidelines, monitor and order supplies and equipment. Select vendors. Process journal vouchers, requisitions, and purchase orders using SAP. Process requests for payment and invoices. Use signature and purchasing authorization as appropriate.
- Monitor and reconcile accounting statements in compliance with financial review and control. Investigate and follow up on purchasing/accounting discrepancies. In conjunction with Finance office, assist with the monitoring and reconciling of research and discretionary accounts in SAP. Prepare and approve purchasing and accounting forms; approve Procurement card transactions; submit FRCs monthly.
- Assist faculty with the preparation of grant proposals and coordinates pre- and post-grant award management, including tracking submission deadlines for funding requests, renewals and annual reports.
- Schedule appointments and meetings. Coordinate events, such as research group meetings, seminars, conference logistics, luncheons and recreational activities for the labs and class trips. Duties include reserving space, scheduling presenters, ordering refreshments, preparing materials, and advertising. Prepare complex itineraries for multiple constituents.
- Manage complex domestic and international travel arrangements. Process travel reimbursements using Concur. Coordinate logistics for attendance at conferences for staff as well as internal and external sponsor visits including hotel, transportation and visa, if applicable.
- Resolve problems in a thorough and timely manner, including basic computer problems.
- Gather information and submit requests for visiting and postdoctoral appointments. Draft appointment letters. Assist with orienting and training new students, staff, and visitors. (For example, provide guidance on the Institute procedures for ordering research materials.)
- Assist in upkeep of the space, including overseeing the maintenance of office equipment, and setting up and maintaining common areas.
- Create filing systems and monitor for efficiency. Maintain records such as travel vouchers and research grants/contracts. Initiates changes and updates to manuals and procedures for own area. Train others regarding policies and procedures.
- Deal with confidential issues using discretion and judgment.
- Proactively seek training and development opportunities to improve and update skills in order to better support faculty.
- Perform other administrative, financial, and clerical duties as necessary to support faculty activities, including: distribute mail, coordinate mass mailings, photocopy, library and Internet searches.
Supervision is provided by the faculty members and the Assistant Director; position requires ability to perform with minimal supervision.
No direct reports. May monitor and coordinate the work of students and temporary staff.
Education: High School education or equivalent. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Experience: A minimum of three years secretarial, office, or related experience.
Strong oral and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills and the ability to work effectively with people at all levels;. Strong customer service and attention to detail. Ability to maintain confidentiality, learn new skills and balance priorities across simultaneous projects. Proficiency with MS Office and ability to learn new software applications. Adobe, Endnote, Stellar, SAP, and web design software experience preferred. Proactive, self-motivated, and resourceful individual who is able to work independently as well as on a team. Prior MIT experience helpful.
Please apply to the position using job #18016 through the MIT jobs portal at http://jobs.mit.edu.