- W.M. Keck Career Development Professor in Biomedical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Assistant Professor, MechE and Institute for Medical Engineering and Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
B.Eng, NUIGalway, Ireland, 2004
MSc, Trinity College, Dublin, 2010
PhD, Harvard University, 2015
B. Med.Sci, RCSI/NUIGalway, Ireland
- Wellcome Trust Seed Award in Science 2016-2017
- Irish Research Council Post-Doctoral Government of Ireland Fellowship 2016-2017
- American Heart Association Pre-Doctoral Award 2014-2015
- Fulbright International Science and Technology Award 2011-2014
- Pierce Fellowship for Outstanding Graduate Students 2011-2014
- Judah Folkman Award 2014
- First Place Award, 3-in-5 Competition, Design of Medical Devices 2013
- First Place Award, International Student Design Showcase, Design of Medical Devices 2013
- Overall Winner, Mimics Engineering on Anatomy for Cardiovascular Applications 2013
- First Place Thesis Award, Trinity College, Dublin 2010
- First Place Examinations Award, Trinity College, Dublin 2010
- Technical Excellence Contribution Award, AbbottVascular 2007
- Ryan Hanley Prize for best final year project, NUIGalway 2004
- Medtronic Prize for best final year project, NUIGalway 2004
- First Place Examinations Award, NUIGalway 2004
Ellen Roche’s research focuses on applying novel manufacturing technologies (soft robotics, thermal forming, encapsulation and actuation of bioactive agents) to translational medical devices, and developing devices along the translational path from concept to clinic. Her work includes devices for treating cardiovascular disease and other clinical applications, with a strong focus on characterization of these devices through laboratory and pre-clinical testing and computational analysis. Ellen has a strong interest in transcardiac surgery, congenital heart conditions and the combination of mechanical and biological therapies (Cezar et al, PNAS, 2016). Her research will explore how best to combine these strategies for polytherapeutic approaches. Clinical and industry collaboration throughout the design process will be a key component of her research approach.
- C. J. Payne, I. Wamala, C. Abah, T. Thalhofer, M. Saeed, D. Bautista-Salinas, M. A. Horvath, N. V. Vasilyev, E. T. Roche, F. A. Pigula, C. J. Walsh. “An Implantable Extracardiac Soft Robotic Device for the Failing Heart: Mechanical Coupling and Synchronization.” Soft Robotics 4.3 (2017): 241-250.
- M. A. Horvath, I. Wamala, E. Rytkin, E. Doyle, C. J. Payne, T. Thalhofer, I. Berra, I. Wamala, A. Solovyeva, M. Saeed, S. Hendren, E. T. Roche, P. J. Del Nido, C. J. Walsh, N. V. Vasilyev. Annals of Biomedical Engineering (2017): 1-12.
- E. T. Roche, M. A. Horvath, I. Wamala, A. Alazmani, S. E. Song, W. Whyte, Z. Machaidze, N. V. Vasilyev, D. J. Mooney, F. A. Pigula, and C. J. Walsh. “Soft Robotic Sleeve Restores Heart Function.” Science Translational Medicine 9.373 (2017): eaaf3925. (Front cover article)
- C. A. Cezar, E. T. Roche, H. H. Vandenburgh, G. N. Duda, C. J. Walsh, and D. J. Mooney. “Biologic-free mechanically induced muscle regeneration.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 113.6 (2016): 1534-39.
- E. T. Roche, A. Fabozzo, Y. Lee, P. Polygerinos, I. Friehs, L. Schuster, A. M. Casar Berazaluce, A. Bueno, N. Lang, M. J. N. Pereira, E. Feins, S. Wassermann, E. D. O’Cearbhaill, N. V. Vasilyev, D. J. Mooney, J. M. Karp, P. J. del Nido, and C. J. Walsh. “A light reflecting balloon for atraumatic tissue defect closure.” Science Translational Medicine 7 (2015): 306. (Front cover article).
- E. T. Roche, R. Wohlfarth, J. T. B. Overvelde, N. V. Vasilyev, F. A. Pigula, D. J. Mooney, K. Bertoldi, and C. J. Walsh CJ. “A Bioinspired Soft Actuated Material.” Advanced Materials 26 (2014): 1200-1206. (Front cover article).
- E. T. Roche, C. L. Hastings, S. A. Lewin, D. E. Shvartsman, Y. Brudno, N. V. Vasilyev, F. J. O’Brien, C. J. Walsh, G. P. Duffy, D. J. Mooney. “Comparison of biomaterial delivery vehicles for improving acute retention of stem cells in the infarcted heart.” Biomaterials 35.25 (2014): 6850-8.
- C. L. Hastings, E. T. Roche, E. Ruiz-Hernandez, K. Schenke-Layland, C. J. Walsh, and G. P. Duffy (co-first author). “Drug and cell delivery for cardiac regeneration.” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews 84 (2014): 85-106.
A full list of Ellen Roche’s publications can be found here.