- Grover Hermann Professor of Health Sciences and Technology and Professor of Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Director, Martinos Imaging Center at MIT
John Gabrieli has faculty appointments in the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences and the Institute for Medical Engineering and Science. He is Director of the Athinoula A. Martinos Imaging Center at the McGovern Institute and a Principal Investigator in that Institute. He also has appointments in the Harvard Graduate School of Education and the Department of Psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- PhD in Behavioral Neuroscience, MIT, 1987
- BA in English, Yale University, 1978
- American Psychological Association Division 40 Robert A. and Phyllis Levitt Early Career Award in Neuropsychology (1996)
- DG Marquis Award for outstanding paper in Behavioral Neuroscience (2001) from Division 6 (Behavioral Neuroscience and Comparative Psychology) of the American Psychological Association
- Dean’s Award for Distinguished Teaching, Stanford University, 2001
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2016
Professor Gabrieli’s research focuses on the neural mechanisms of memory, cognition, and emotion in the human brain, and how those mechanisms are disrupted in neurological and psychiatric disorders.
- J. D. E. Gabrieli, S. S. Ghosh, and S. Whitfield-Gabrieli. “Prediction as a humanitarian and pragmatic contribution from human cognitive neuroscience.” Neuron 85 (2015): 11-26.
- Mackey, Finn, A.P., S., Leonard, J.A., Jacoby Senghor, D.S., West, M.R., Gabrieli, C.F.O., and Gabrieli, J.D.E. (2015) “Neuroanatomical correlates of the income achievement gap.” Psychological Science 26 (2015): 925-33.
- S. L. Ladd, W. B. Toscano, P. S. Cowings, and J. D. E. Gabriele. “Cardiovascular Change During Encoding Predicts the Nonconscious Mere Exposure Effect .” The American Journal of Psychology 127.2 (2014): 157-82.
- T. K. Perrachione, S. N. Del Tufo, and J. D. E. Gabrieli. “Human voice recognition depends on language ability.” Science 333 (2011): 595.
- M. C. Anderson, K. N. Ochsner, B. Kuhl, J. Cooper, E. Robertson, S. W. Gabrieli, G. H. Glover, and J. D. E. Gabrieli. “Neural systems underlying the suppression of unwanted memories.” Science 203 (2004): 232-35.
- J. B. Brewer, Z. Zhao, J. E. Desmond, G. H. Glover, and J. D. E. Gabrieli. “Making memories: Brain activity that predicts how well visual experience will be remembered.” Science 281 (1998): 1185-87.
A full list of Professor Gabrieli’s publications can be found on his website.